Many of Fort Worth's historic structures are in a state of limbo, while others are on the precipice of being saved.
T&P Warehouse – 1931
401 W. Lancaster Ave.
The imposing T&P Warehouse has stood vacant since the 1980s. In 2014, renderings and plans were released showing the building being restored with residences and a hotel, but no movement has been made thus far. In 2017, a new roof and false windows were installed. The building, which has been under the same Dallas-based ownership since 1997, is protected from demolition through various historic designations.
TXU Plant – 1912
411 N. Main St.
The former Texas Electric Company/TXU plant was purchased by Tarrant County College in 2004. TCC has been mum on any plans for the property, which sits across the Trinity River from the two downtown TCC campuses. The building sits in the future Panther Island area with a planned man-made lake to be located to the building's West. The building does not have any legal protection from demolition.
Butler Place – 1942
Having reached the end of its useful life, the Fort Worth Housing Authority-owned Butler Place closed down in 2020. While the exact plans for the sprawling 40-acre property are still being worked out, it's likely that most of the buildings will be demolished to make way for new development, but there are plans to preserve and adapt many of the buildings on the site.
Kimbell milling co. offices and grain elevators – 1924 – 1948
1929 S. Main St.S. Main St.11929 S. Main St.929 S. Main St.
While the Kimbell name is now more recognized for the landmark art museum, some of the Kimbell fortune that funded the museum was made through the grain industry. The towering grain elevators stand 180 feet over S. Main street, while the two office buildings display unique art deco and mid-century architecture.
Southside Recreation Building – 1912
201 W. Vickery Blvd.
The Southside Recreation Building was formerly used as a gym, event space, and community center. Despite having been vacant for many years, the owners have carefully mothballed the building and a future restoration is likely, but no plans have been announced. The building is listed on The National Register of Historic Places.
Grand Theater – 1938
1100 Fabbons St.
The Theater operations ceased in 1981. Most recently, the building was used as a church. No plans for a full restoration are known. The building is protected from demolition due to it's location in the Terrell Heights Local Historic District.
Hollywood Theater – 1930
501 W. Sixth St.
The Hollywood Theater is the last remnants of the heyday of downtown theaters. The theater closed in 1976 and has remained vacant since. In 1996, the Historic Electric Building, to which the theater is attached, was converted into apartments. To provide the residents with parking, the theater's first floor was demolished and a parking garage built at the street level. What remains is the mezzanine, balcony and upper levels of the theater.
While the theater is now in a partially preserved state, there are no restoration plans in place, and restoration is unlikely due to the parking below. The theater's lobby remains in its original state and is now used for retail space.
LaGrave Field – 2002
300 NE Seventh St.
Vacant since the departure of the Fort Worth Cats in 2014, LaGrave has fallen into a state of severe disrepair. Recent attempts to save the structure have failed for unannounced reasons. The stadium is owned by the Tarrant Regional Water District (TRWD) and, like the TXU Plant, sits on the future Panther Island. While the TRWD does not intend to restore the stadium on their own, the group would like to arrange a deal with a private developer who would be able to re-open the stadium.
berry theater – 1930
3021 Hemphill St.
The 682-seat Berry Theater was originally known as the White Theater, named for its developer. Long-vacant, many of the architectural details and the marquee have been removed from the building or painted over. The theater was purchased in 2021 by Mercy Clinic, a charitable healthcare organization, who announced that the theater will be "hub for community ministries".
Sanctuary Gustavus Adolphus Church – 1912
404 Hemphill St.
The Gustavus Luthern Church was founded by Swedish immigrants in 1905, with the sanctuary being built a few years later. The congregation was renamed Grace Lutheran in 1925 and moved to a new building in 1950. The 1912 sanctuary remained vacant for years, but was kept in relatively good shape even through modifications made during the widening of Hemphill St. In Summer 2022 plans were announced for a multifamily development on the site. Thanks to community input and the Historic and Cultural Landmarks Commission, the developers of the project agreed to incorporate the church into the project as an amenity space rather than tearing it down. The development will also incorporate a part of the Laundry Building at 428 Hemphill on the same block.
Rendering via Keeley Acquisitions Inc.
Armour & Co. Packing Plant – 1951
601 E. Exchange Ave.
The only remaining structure of the former Armour packing plant the Stockyards is the Serum Albumin Building at the East end of Exchange Ave. In 2022, plans to restore the building into office space were announced as part of a larger multi-family development by San Antonio-based Kairoi residential. The building is protected from demolition because of it's location within Stockyards Historic and Form-Based Code District.
Ellis Pecan Building – 1925
1012 N. Main St.
The Ellis Pecan Building on N. Main Street is vacant now, but not for long. Once the largest KKK meeting hall in the country, the property was purchased by Transform 1012, who plan to convert the building into a community center known as The Fred Rouse Center for Arts and Community Healing. Plans for the building include a civil rights museum, gallery and performing arts spaces, affordable housing and event space.
Heritage Park – 1975
100 W. Bluff St.
Designed by famed architect Lawrence Halprin, Heritage Park closed in 2007 over concerns of a shifting foundation. Restoration for the park is planned, with Downtown Fort Worth Inc. leading the planning and fundraising to re-open the park with new features including a grand staircase to the river, a handicapped accessible canopy walk, and pedestrian improvements to enhance connectivity into the park from downtown. Enhancements are also planned at the adjacent Paddock Park.
Fort Worth Public Market – 1930
1400 Henderson St.
The Public Market is vacant for now, but that will soon change. In spring 2022, owner Wilks Development announced plans to integrate the building into a senior living community planned on the land to the market's west side which will be known as The Harden. The restored market building will host amenities for the residents, including the leasing office, fitness center and lounge. A small amount of the building will be available to the public through a planned coffee shop or cafe. Wilks also upgraded the historic status of the building as “highly significant endangered”, in addition to its status of being a Recorded Texas Historic Landmark and on the National Register of Historic Places. Restoration work is expected to begin in late 2022 or 2023.